Make a difference at
St Luke’s CEVA Primary School
|There are no positions at this time
Our outstanding OfSTED report (2008) said – "As pupils rightly say almost everything about this school is outstanding and it succeeds exceptionally well in its published aim ‘to be a school where staff, pupils and parents want to be!"
The London Borough of Newham is an exciting place to work where teachers are rewarded and supported. Please telephone the school to talk to the Headteacher and hear what St Luke’s and Newham can offer YOU!
We are a small, popular school situated in a residential area of mainly social housing. The locality is undergoing considerable change and modernisation with many exciting developments taking place including preparation for the 2012 Olympics.
New teachers to St Luke’s will find a strong team spirit with dedicated staff moving in the same direction to provide a calm learning environment. We have a solid performance management policy and offer opportunities for in-service training, both in and out of school. All new teachers have a mentor and our friendly team often socialise together. We have a number of quality marks including Investors in People.
Our pupils experience a rich, creative, well planned and well-resourced curriculum of learning activities that promote excellence. We were awarded the Primary Quality Mark for Basic Skills again in 2009.
- We have active international links with the charity, “Stand By Me”, through which the school sponsors 6 children (four from Ethiopia and two from Burma).
- We also support work amongst the homeless and disadvantaged through the work of London City Mission, Comic Relief and Shelter.
- Our inspired art work reflects our commitment to creativity and our mission statement
- Music has a high profile with our large, vibrant choir regularly performing in the locality and more than 50% of statutory school age children learn at least one musical instrument.
- We offer an extensive range of lunchtime and after school activities including games, craft, ICT, drama and poetry.
- We are committed to raising awareness of ecological and environmental issues and have been awarded our third Green Flag in recognition of our work in promoting sustainability.
We are committed to raising the profile of our Christian ethos, and ask applicants for senior posts to provide a church or faith reference.
We have 210 boys and girls on roll and about 40 part-time children in the nursery. About 80% of our pupils are from black African cultures with the remaining 20% made up of white, mixed or other cultures.
All our pupils live locally and we admit them in accordance to our set Admission Criteria. We give priority to children whose families have an active involvement in St Luke’s Parish Church which meets each Sunday using the school hall.
A high proportion of pupils are identified as having special educational needs (currently 38%) and about 31% are entitled to Free School Meals which also indicates the level of deprivation and need.
We are an “outstanding” school.
The school engages in thorough self evaluation each year, gathering the views and opinions of all our stakeholders. Our findings drive school improvement planning and budgetary decisions. Our priorities for 2009-10 address the Every Child Matters agenda.
We welcome support from parents, community members and specialists and arrange curriculum events, special projects, special assemblies, workshops, trips and visitors in order to inspire our pupils. Although few parents are able to support the school on a regular basis they are active in supporting key events especially those involving the wider community.
St Luke’s CEVA Primary School Aims
Many of our pupils come from homes where learning is not a valued experience. Our vision is to raise achievement by slowly changing that culture. We aim to make a difference to the lives of our pupils. We aim to equip them to make positive choices and contribute to the local and wider community.
‘We want St Luke’s to be a school where staff, pupils and parents want to be.’
The school building
The new school opened to pupils April 2000. The site includes our school and the church centre. We now have an attractive, well-designed site with all the facilities of a modern, fully equipped 21st century school.
We also have an exciting outside learning environment which includes an Eco Garden, re-cycling and composting facilities, a bird watching and feeding area, shady seating and a quiet reflective Monet Garden.
The school is well sited for public transport. The Docklands Light Railway, the North London Line and the Jubilee Underground at Canning Town are all a five-minute walk. The shopping centre at Stratford (currently being extended) is within 15 minutes by bus and Gallions Reach is an easy journey. We have ample staff car parking and are also only 3 stops away from City Airport!